While WordPress v4.0 is just another update number after 3.9 and before 4.1, it has some new things that make it more polished than ever, with quite a few subtle enhancements they didn’t mention in their release post. It was named “Benny” in honor of jazz clarinetist and bandleader Benny Goodman. Let’s review everything below.
WordPress 4.0 major improvements
Here’s the major changes in WordPress 4.0:
- The Media Library was updated to display your uploaded files in a nice grid, with a new details preview making viewing and editing media easier.
- Embeds now embed the actual HTML in the editor, no more blank preview box.
- The editor window now keeps the editing tools in view at all times, and scrolls down as you write.
- Plugin searching was updated so it’s easier to find the right one for your needs, with new metrics and a more visual browsing experience.
There were over 275 people contributing code changes to this release, a new high. Here’s a video overview of the changes from WordPress.tv:
Additional subtle 4.0 enhancements
- WordPress 4.0 includes a language chooser. After selecting a language WordPress will download and install the language pack on the fly. The rest of the install process will then be in that language. Nice, eh?
- There are some new Customizer improvements for developers as well:
- It also has a major update to the WP_Query function:
- WordPress 4.0 comes with a redesigned plugin installer. They’ve added one of the finishing touches to this — plugin icons:
There were also over 700 development tickets closed out relating to the 4.0 release, with over 500 of them being classified as bugs, so update your sites and enjoy a much more stable WordPress: